Saturday, April 7, 2012

Biking and walking in the U.S.: 2012 benchmarking report

A friend of mine just passed this fascinating document along to me. It's a report done annually on walking and biking in the U.S. I was shocked (but I guess not surprised) by some of these statistics. Click here to see the full report, or here to read quick facts from the report summary. I've always been somewhat conscious of how often I choose to drive somewhere that is within walking or biking distance. But now I'm going to try even harder to get places by my own two feet. I'm just glad I live somewhere that is reasonably bike-friendly. Some places are impossible to get around. (That's a whole other issue that we need to work out in this country.) Anyway, here are some interesting stats from the report:
  • 40% of trips in the U.S. are shorter than two miles, yet we use our cars for 87% of these trips.
  • 27% of trips in the U.S. are shorter than one mile, yet we use our cars for 62% of these trips.
  • Only 1% of trips are by bicycle. Only 10.5% are by foot.
  • Biking and walking levels fell by 66% between 1960 & 2009, while obesity levels increased by 156%. [connection??]
  • The number of children who biked or walked to school fell by 75% between 1966 & 2009, while the percentage of obese children rose by 276%
This report also ranks all 50 states, as well as 51 major cities, based on how often their residents walk or bike to work. My current state (Michigan) ranks pretty low at #34, whereas Alaska surprisingly ranks #1!

So, if that isn't enough inspiration to consider walking or biking to work (or at least one place that you normally drive to), check out this infographic for some more reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! We definitely need to work on bike infrastructure in this country. I especially like the graphic showing the percent obese compared to the percent bike trips taken...we need to work on this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...